Sizing by Firebox
Instructions & Details
Chimney Pot Articles
Request a Quote
Vitrified Clay Chimney Pots - 10310
PART 1 GENERAL
- SCOPE OF WORK
- Provide vitrified clay chimney tops as specified.
- RELATED SECTIONS
- Section 07650: Metal Flashing.
- Section 04510: Masonry Cleaning.
- ASTM C315-02 - Standard Specification for Clay Flue Liners
- ASTM C301- 98- Standard Test Methods for Vitrified Clay Pipe.
- ASTM C67-02a- Standard Methods of Sampling and Testing Brick and Structural Clay Tile.
- ASTM C1283-02- Standard Practice for Installing Clay Flue Lining.
- ASTM C270-01a- Standard Specification for Mortar for Unit Masonry.
- ASTM C150- Specification for Portland Cement.
- ASTM C207- Specification for Hydrated Lime for Masonry Purposes
- ASTM C144- Specification for Aggregate for Masonry
- ACI 530.1- Building Code Requirements & Specifications for Masonry Structures.
1.2 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Subcontractors Qualifications: All work to be preformed by mechanics experienced in handling and setting of clay chimney pots.
1.3 PRODUCT HANDLING, STORAGE, AND DELIVERY
- Delivery shall be made as directed by customer unless other wise stated.
- The customer shall become responsible for the product at the time it is received.
- The customer is responsible for inspecting upon delivery. Any non-conformity must be indicated on delivery ticket.
- If the product is damaged in transit, the seller shall be immediately notified in writing. The responsibility for cost of such replacement shall be determined at the point of delivery. The customer shall assume the responsibility for necessary proof of damage.
- Storage at job site
- Units shall stay in their original packing material until ready for use.
- Crates/pallets shall not be stacked, and shall remain in upright position.
- Store on firm , level and smooth surface, protected from weather to prevent staining.
1.4 JOB CONDITIONS
- Cold Weather : Perform work in accordance with ACI 530.1 current edition.
- Hot Weather: Perform work in accordance with ACI 530.1 current edition.
- At the end of each workday, or during rainy weather, cover masonry work exposed to weather with waterproof coverage and securely anchor as necessary.
PART 2 PRODUCT
- Vitrified Clay Chimney Pots, manufactured by Superior Clay Corporation, Uhrichsville, Ohio 44683. 1-800-848-6166. Shall be manufactured from clay, shale, or a combination of these materials that is fired at suitable temperature.
- Quality Control:
- Chimney pots shall conform to the physical requirements listed below as preformed in accordance with ASTM Specifications.
Test average (based on 5 samples)
| Absorption (5 hour boil) - 8%
|| ASTM- C315
| Freeze/Thaw Resistance
|| ASTM C67
|| ASTM- C315
| Acid Resistance < .25%
| ASTM- C301
|| ASTM- C315
- Dimension Tolerance:
- The maximum difference in the diagonal dimensions of square and rectangular Chimney Pots shall not exceed _ inch for sizes up to and including 12 inch by 12 inch and _ inch for larger sizes.
- Variation in dimensions of round Chimney Pots shall not exceed those shown in ASTM - C315, Table 3.
- Overall height variation not to exceed +/- 1/2 inch per foot.
- Finish faces that will be exposed when installed shall be free from chips, blisters or other imperfections detracting from the appearance when viewed from normal viewing distance or a minimum of 15 feet.
- All anchors used for securing Chimney Pot shall be of stainless steel or non-corrosive metals.
- Mortars shall comply with ASTM C270
- Cementious Materials:
- Portland Cement: ASTM C150, Type II or I: low- alkali per ASTM C150, table 2.
- Hydrated Lime: ASTM C207, Type S
Sand: Clean, washed natural or manufactured silica sand grated according to ASTM C144. Sand contain no more than 50 parts per million of chloride ions and shall be free of organic contaminants.
- Water: Potable, clean and free from injurious amounts of oil, alkali, organic matter or other deleterious material.
PART 3 EXECUTION
3.1 INSTALLATION GENERAL
- Install plumb
- Set Chimney Pot in bed of mortar on top of chimney cap.
- Chimney cap constructed in accordance with ASTM C1283-02 8, or approved alternate.
- All anchors shall be either stainless steel or non-corrosive metal.
- Mortar a minimum of 2 inch up base of Chimney Pot.
- Flash method as required by referenced standards.
3.2 MIXING MORTAR
- Setting mortar:
- Use Type M mortar, in accordance with ASTM C270 with the following material mix proportion by volume:
Portland Cement: 1 part
Hydrated Lime: 1/2 part
Sand: 3-1/2 parts
- Use colored sand to obtain desired mortar color.
3.3 CUTTING AND FITTING
- If necessary, any cutting or drilling done at job shall be done using a diamond blade or diamond tip drill, while applying a steady stream of cooling water.
- Remove excess mortar from all surfaces upon completion of setting to prevent staining.
- Protect completed work from damage or staining due to construction operations.
- Upon project completion remove all temporary protection.
- The completed installation shall have the acceptance of the Architect/ Engineer/ Owner.